fbpx

ADDED ON: 11/04/2021

NSW government announces inquiry into Sydney’s unsolved gay and transgender hate crimes, murders

11/03/2021 | ABC

The NSW government has announced an inquiry into brutal hates crimes committed against members of Sydney’s gay community over 40 years. In July 1989, 25-year-old newsreader Ross Warren disappeared from Sydney’s eastern suburbs. His car had been parked on a street near the popular gay beat Marks Park, and his keys were found at the bottom of a cliff nearby. Police closed his case just three weeks later, without locating his body. Ross is suspected to be among the dozens of men murdered in Sydney through the 1980s and 1990s. They will form the basis of a judicial inquiry announced by the NSW government on Wednesday. “‘LGBTI members of our community have suffered grave injustices that were not acceptable in the past and they are not acceptable now,” NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said.  “Where there is still work to be done to address these injustices, we will do it.” The inquiry, which will investigate crimes committed between 1970 and 2010, was one of the key recommendations in a report tabled by the Legislative Council’s Standing Committee on Social Issues in May. The Committee began a parliamentary inquiry into the issue in 2018. Committee Chair Shayne Mallard said there was evidence of at least 88 gay and transgender murders, though the number was likely higher.

GO TO FULL STORY

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>